Skip to main content
#
L.I.S.A Inc

LISA... is a parent support and lobby group, for parents and families with a family member having an intellectual or multiple disability, and living in a supported accommodation group home in the State of Victoria, Australia.
Find What You Need

Forum
Tuesday, August 09 2011

NSW Minister for Disability Services:
The Hon Andrew Constance, MP, said, “I have seen examples of shocking supported accommodation!" "I walked out with tears in my eyes!”

Prof Christine Bigby (La Trobe Uni):
"Choices, Outcomes & Evidence. Working practices of staff is a problem. Community Living is possible for people with very severe disabilities. Raising our Sights – Report (see LISA Website) Low engagement continues to occur in group homes. Right design of CRUs to get outcomes. What do staff have to do on an everyday basis? Staff need to be supported and monitored every-day. Everyone needs to have high expectations.

Anita Phillips, (ACT Public Advocate):
Assumption v Reality
Attitude of Staff
ACT Community Living Project

Aine Healy (NSW Council on Intellectual Disability):
We need a strong Voice. People have been so denied in their lives.

David Hoist (Disability Speaks). Kardinya:
Poorly Managers
Poor Attitude
Need to be living with compatible people
The knockers need to give ideas

Estelle Shields & Lyn Allen (parents):
Poor staff
Subject to Abuse & Neglect

Belinda Epstein - Family Advocacy:
”Supported Living” rather than “Supported Care”
People need relationships with people who care about them, rather than people who are only in their lives because the get paid to do so.
Separate Support from Housing!
With Supported Living, Supported Accommodation is not necessary!

Max Jackson (JacksonRyan Partners):
Despite all, Choice is rarely a reality! Options available to other Australians, should be available to those Australians with a disability.

LISA Comment: The seminar was first class! But, a coordinated and well financed effort is required to break the bureaucratic green zone defenses

Posted by: Hatton AT 03:33 pm   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Comments:

Post comment
Name
Email Address

* Required Fields
Note: All comments are subject to approval. Your comment will not appear until it has been approved.

LISA Inc   ~   Phone: 03 9434 3810   ~   Email: vk3qq@optusnet.com.au   ~   Address: 73 Nepean Street Watsonia VIC 3087

Copyright © 2013 LISA Inc. All Rights Reserved. SiteMap.