See link to full proposals, below ....
So far, just one DHS Region is saying this....
• Invite families to birthday parties & Christmas parties.
• Monthly news letter.
• Three monthly family meetings.
• Encourage people we support to ring their families.
• Weekly phone calls to siblings.
• Encourage family to attend important medical appointments.
• Invite families to PCP meetings.
• Arrange day trips / picnics with family and friends.
• Families over for dinner / afternoon tea
• Creating culture where families come regularly into the group home for a “meeting – afternoon tea, hang out”.
• Monthly newsletter prepared by residents for families.
• Involving families when moving / change in house setting up ‘homely’ environment.
• Technological communications – e.g. SKYPE or emails.
• Maintaining the connection through day placements.
• Home visits
• Via emails to parents to give information.
• New equipment at residence family have to access connections.
• Partnership between homes / staff.
• Key worker to send monthly photos / cards.
• Supporting home visits for people and their families
• Honest open approach
o Walking alongside families
o Involving extended family members and friends. Eg. Brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces etc.
• Afternoon teas
• Working bee and BBQs
• Families over for dinner
• Resident meetings involving families
• Parties – Christmas, birthdays etc
• Invite to special outings
• Provide individualised communication to families (newsletter
• Family involvement in PCP etc.
• Family brunches
• Most importantly meeting individuals needs
• Work with them.
o Minutes / information / resident meeting to families
• Getting Toni’s message across to all staff
• Smaller more intimate family get togethers, rather than big functions.
• Provide “confidential” and “private” space.
• Display empathy – walking in their shoes
• What do they want to know about medical issues[color=red]
• Involving family members who are not actively involved – 3 monthly
• Inform about small issues.
• How do we connect with our residents ‘important people”
• Emails/photos re outings
• Easter }
• Daily reality
• Conflict of support
• Mixed values
• Don’t judge families
• Listen and learn
LINK to full report