Skip to main content
#
L.I.S.A Inc

LISA... is a parent support and lobby group, for parents and families with a family member having an intellectual or multiple disability, and living in a supported accommodation group home in the State of Victoria, Australia.
Find What You Need

Forum
Thursday, April 05 2012

Report of April 2012 reveals that over three quarters of local authorities are struggling to fund services for people with a learning disability

FULL REPORT Link

The Learning Disability Coalition (LDC) has revealed the extent of the care crisis for people with a learning disability, in a report published today (Wednesday 4 April).

'Social Care in Crisis – the Need for Reform' finds that over three quarters (77%) of local authorities are facing difficulties in funding services for people with a learning disability and have made either cuts or savings. Of these, 9 out of 10 anticipate further ‘efficiency savings’.

This is the LDC’s third annual survey of local authorities, and is supported by information from people with a learning disability and service providers. It reveals a stark picture of the reality of living with a learning disability in England in 2012.

The report says that care providers are under pressure to deliver more for less – 90% of providers surveyed said the funding situation was ‘difficult’. Two thirds (66%) are expected to provide additional support within an existing contract without extra support. Furthermore, nearly half (48%) of people with a learning disability have had their support reduced or charges increased to date.

“This reveals the myth that restrictions on local authority budgets can be contained within efficiency savings,” says Anthea Sully, director of the Learning Disability Coalition. “Ongoing cuts are being made to services, causing very real difficulties for people.

“The government must urgently reform the system and invest more money to end the care crisis or many people with a learning disability, their families and carers will struggle to maintain even a basic standard of living.”

The LDC is a coaltion of 15 learning disability c, including Mencap.

Comments
Mrs D
5 April 2012

Being the mother of a child with autism and learning disabilities, I am very worried about what the future holds for my son. I also work full time within adult social care and am seeing more and more often that funding is being withdrawn. Residential homes and supported living houses are being closed and more and more families are expected to find their own care with direct payments or worse...having their disabled loved ones placed into homes which are not appropriate for them. The number of people born with, or acquiring a learning disability rises each year, So how is this country supposed to cope on less and less funding, and constant closures. The UK really has taken a step back into the dark ages and never have I felt more like leaving my own country!

Christopher
4 April 2012

the government needs to listen to the report urgently as the lack of care which people are facing is a real concern. The future shouldn’t be about more struggling and unnecessary battles to gain appropriate care

Christopher
4 April 2012

The government needs to listen urgently to the findings of this report. Really concerned on the consequences of people with learning disabilities and their families not receiving the right support. The future shouldn’t be. about more struggling and people like myself having to challenge the care system.

Posted by: Hatton AT 05:16 pm   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Comments:

Post comment
Name
Email Address

* Required Fields
Note: All comments are subject to approval. Your comment will not appear until it has been approved.

LISA Inc   ~   Phone: 03 9434 3810   ~   Email: vk3qq@optusnet.com.au   ~   Address: 73 Nepean Street Watsonia VIC 3087

Copyright © 2013 LISA Inc. All Rights Reserved. SiteMap.