Skip to main content
#
L.I.S.A Inc

LISA... is a parent support and lobby group, for parents and families with a family member having an intellectual or multiple disability, and living in a supported accommodation group home in the State of Victoria, Australia.
Find What You Need

Forum
Monday, April 16 2012

Today’s meeting of the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) has reaffirmed the commitment of all governments to a National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). COAG released the set of high level principles, to guide the reform process.

The next phase of work will focus on eligibility for support through an NDIS, portability of entitlements and funding.

COAG also released a progress report on work to date. This outlines some of the challenges we all face in working to build an NDIS together. We look forward to discussing this work with you over the coming months.

You can view the full Communiqué on the COAG website (see LINK below).

On Wednesday I gave a speech to the Grattan Institute in Melbourne ‘Rebuilding from the Ground Up ? A National Disability Insurance Scheme’ (see LINK below).

It was a great opportunity to set out the massive change we are seeking to make to how we support people with disability, their families and carers.

The insurance approach is a revolutionary idea for disability, one that I think will fundamentally change how the system works, to make it work for people with disability, their families and carers.

After the speech, I was pleased to respond to questions from the 200-strong audience including people with disability, their advocates, workers and carers.

These conversations showed the level of interest in and support for an NDIS across the Australian community and affirmed our commitment to engaging closely with people with disability to develop and implement an NDIS.

We're also getting on with the job of delivering right now for people with disability.

On Tuesday last week Senator Jan McLucas joined the Prime Minister to announce the 21 successful organisations which will be funded by the Government through the Supported Accommodation Innovation Fund. Twenty-seven projects will be constructed across the country.

These organisations will share $60 million in funding to build 169 supported accommodation and respite places by June 2014.

The funding will provide people with disability access to a much needed supported accommodation that is designed to be innovative and responsive to their individual needs. Projects will serve as models for the future as we work towards an NDIS.

Jenny Macklin and Jan McLucas

To View full COAG Communique

Rebuilding from the Ground Up-A National Disability Insurance Scheme’.

Posted by: Hatton AT 04:53 pm   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Comments:

Post comment
Name
Email Address

* Required Fields
Note: All comments are subject to approval. Your comment will not appear until it has been approved.

LISA Inc   ~   Phone: 03 9434 3810   ~   Email: vk3qq@optusnet.com.au   ~   Address: 73 Nepean Street Watsonia VIC 3087

Copyright © 2013 LISA Inc. All Rights Reserved. SiteMap.