Skip to main content
#
L.I.S.A Inc

LISA... is a parent support and lobby group, for parents and families with a family member having an intellectual or multiple disability, and living in a supported accommodation group home in the State of Victoria, Australia.
Find What You Need

Forum
Saturday, March 31 2012

Extracts:
"No longer will the majority of people with disabilities have to queue for whatever the public system can provide. Instead, everyone will have access to a growing range of high-quality services which the national disability insurance scheme will fund".

"The Productivity Commission has outlined a seven-year timetable for the shift from state government-funded and provided services to services provided by a wide range of organisations".

Posted by: Hatton AT 05:22 pm   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Thursday, March 29 2012

Most government supported accommodation services have run a traditional, unwritten, practice of discouraging parent involvement. It is a breath of fresh air to see the Eastern Region of Melbourne actively attempting to break this traditional restrictive practice.

Whereas, our recent information indicates adult day service, adult training and support services, are reinforcing their practices of keeping parents/families out.

One of their arguments for keeping parents/families out, is their claim that clients are adults, and adults in the general community do not have their families involved in their work place.

What they fail to accept is, (a) most day service clients have limited capacity to self advocate in respect to service level and quality (Mum worries about her regular 3 year old at Kinder, but the little on can tell mum. Whereas, she worries far more about he 33 year old with no meaningful communications) and, (b) most day service clients need their ‘positive behaviour support’ reinforced in all living areas, and by as many people as possible.

The restrictive practice of keeping families out, is not as a benefit to clients, but as a benefit to service provider management and staff, of both day services and group homes – professionals to professionals.

The National Autistic Society is now a multimillion dollar service provider in the UK. The NAS started as a parent support group in a church hall in Ealing Broadway, West London.

When the group got so large that professionals were needed to manage the business, the parents made sure that sufficient parents would always be on the ‘board of management’ to ensure parents and families were always front and centre of all services.

Please feel free to provide us, LISA Inc, with your experiences of 'Day Services' - good or bad. Your identification will be kept strictly confidential

Posted by: Hatton AT 05:23 pm   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Tuesday, March 27 2012

The New South Wales (NSW) Government is committed to improving the lives of people with a disability, their families and carers. People with a disability, their families and carers have expressed the need for greater choice and control over state based disability funding and resources, and the supports and services they access in their daily lives. To ensure that these people are at the centre of decision making about the services they need, the NSW Government will implement person centred approaches by the end of 2014.

The NSW Government is conducting state wide consultations to seek the views of people with a disability, their families and carers, and service providers on person centred approaches and the outcomes people would like to see within the NSW disability service system.

The consultations commenced with the Living Life My Way summit on 7 and 8 July 2011, which was hosted by the NSW Minister for Disability Services, the Hon. Andrew Constance MR

A total of 153 consultation sessions have been held with people with a disability, families and carers and service providers across metropolitan and regional areas of NSW. In addition, the NSW Government commissioned targeted consultations to engage with people from Aboriginal communities, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and people with intellectual disability. This report includes the findings of the consultations conducted in languages other than English. The consultations with Aboriginal communities and people with intellectual disability are continuing and will be reported separately.

The consultation sessions explored people's views, in detail, on a person centred approach and its key elements:

1 person centred planning;

2 personalised funding arrangements; and

3 person centred service delivery.

This report provides a summary of the key themes, views and suggested directions arising as a result of the consultations and the written submissions received to date.

During the consultations there was overwhelming support for person centred practice. Person centred practice is seen as an attitude or culture that translates into a way of operating that supports people with a disability to live the life they wish. In a person centred service, a person with a disability is listened to, heard, respected and encouraged to exercise choice and control to the greatest extent possible.

A number of people with a disability, families and carers and service providers shared accounts of how services have become more person centred in recent times. There were a number of positive stories of person centred practice, including direct accounts from people with a disability who had changed their lives significantly as a result.

Carers and family members strongly supported the capacity of person centred approaches to determine the 'right' mix of supports and services at key life stages. Person centred approaches could also contribute to the well being and sustainability of the family unit and continuity of care and support arrangements when family members are no longer around to take part in decision making.

Personalised planning is seen as the way to truly understand and respond to a person's service and support needs. Planning would usefully occur around a person's life stage, needs, circumstances, goals, preferences and aspirations. Families, unpaid carers and friends would frequently play an important part in the planning process, as might paid carers and other support people. All participants agreed on the need for a mechanism to change or adjust a plan as circumstances change and the need for an in built review mechanism.

A number of service providers already undertake one on one planning with the people who access their services but recognise the potential for personalised planning to go much further in responding to their clients' needs.

Personalised funding is seen as critical in terms of providing people with a disability direct control over the supports and services they access. The mechanics of how it might work in practice is the subject of rigorous debate and will require a great deal of thought given the range and complexity of needs and expectations that exist within the community.

A transition to personalised funding has significant implications for the service sector and there is a need to plan for the transition and to develop tools and supports to assist providers to make the change.

Personalised service delivery is seen as a way of thinking and behaving more than anything but there are also significant practical implications in terms of the day to day operation of a disability service.

The issues, questions, ideas and views raised during the consultations are summarised below, and will be used to develop a potential model for implementing person centred approaches for disability supports and services within NSW. The model will be developed over the next few months and presented to the community in a second round of consultations in the first half of 2012.

We would like to thank all the participants in the consultation sessions who gave so generously of their time, experience and energy.

Full Report

ADHC - NSW

Posted by: Hatton AT 05:26 pm   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Tuesday, March 27 2012

See link to full proposals, below ....

So far, just one DHS Region is saying this....

• Invite families to birthday parties & Christmas parties.
• Monthly news letter.
• Three monthly family meetings.
• Encourage people we support to ring their families.
• Weekly phone calls to siblings.
• Encourage family to attend important medical appointments.
• Invite families to PCP meetings.
• Arrange day trips / picnics with family and friends.
• Families over for dinner / afternoon tea
• Creating culture where families come regularly into the group home for a “meeting – afternoon tea, hang out”.
• Monthly newsletter prepared by residents for families.
• Involving families when moving / change in house setting up ‘homely’ environment.
• Technological communications – e.g. SKYPE or emails.
• Maintaining the connection through day placements.
• Home visits
• Via emails to parents to give information.
• New equipment at residence family have to access connections.
• Partnership between homes / staff.
• Key worker to send monthly photos / cards.
• Supporting home visits for people and their families
• Honest open approach
o Walking alongside families
o Involving extended family members and friends. Eg. Brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces etc.
• Afternoon teas
• Working bee and BBQs
• Families over for dinner
• Resident meetings involving families
• Parties – Christmas, birthdays etc
• Invite to special outings
• Provide individualised communication to families (newsletter
• Family involvement in PCP etc.
• Family brunches
• Most importantly meeting individuals needs
• Work with them.
• Communication
o Minutes / information / resident meeting to families
• Getting Toni’s message across to all staff
• Smaller more intimate family get togethers, rather than big functions.
• Provide “confidential” and “private” space.
• Display empathy – walking in their shoes
• What do they want to know about medical issues[color=red]
• Involving family members who are not actively involved – 3 monthly
• Inform about small issues.
• How do we connect with our residents ‘important people”
• News
• Emails/photos re outings
• Easter }
• Daily reality
• Conflict of support
• Mixed values
• Guilt
• Understanding.
• Don’t judge families
• Listen and learn

LINK to full report

Posted by: Hatton AT 05:24 pm   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Friday, March 23 2012

Abuses of Power – Bullying and Retribution

These terms describe the actions of the big-two supermarkets against their suppliers.

These terms also describe the actions of government departments against people with a disability, their families and non-government service providers.

Suppliers to the big-two supermarkets get ‘pushed off the cliff’ if the do not ‘assume the position’ – cooperate with the big-two. Sign the contract and stay in the 'cone of silence', or get pushed off the cliff!

People with a disability, their families and non-government service providers are treated in a similar way by government human service departments.

Non-government service providers fear sidelining and funding restrictions if they do not ‘assume the position’ – work-with and never- question.

People with a disability and their families fear intimidation, Families fear intimidation of themselves, but mostly of their vulnerable family member behind the closed doors of a government service

The toothless efforts of the ACCC, and the two Senate enquiries have achieved little in redressing the problem food supplies face from the big two supermarkets.

People with a disability, their families and non-government service providers have similar toothless tigers in the Ombudsman, the Disability Services Commissioner, the Office of the Public Advocate, the Health Services Commissioner, VCAT and the government of the day.

The general public have a real, day to day, personal interest in food, so there is potential to motivate the ACCC to take action against the practices of the big-two supermarkets.

There is little public interest in a similar abuse of power by government human service departments against people with a disability, their families and non-government service providers.

No one cares! The media gives little coverage to the questionable actions of government departments who hold the purse strings over people with a disability, their families and non-government service providers.

The Productivity Commission addressed this problem with the NDIS funding intended to be in the pocket of the consumer, but the NDIS is looking less and less likely to occur in a way which will eliminate, for all, the present captive market, no choice, services for people with a disability and their families.

Posted by: Hatton AT 05:29 pm   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Tuesday, March 20 2012

by Peter Gordon, of Slater & Gordon, at the cocktail party of the Strength to Strength Conference in Melbourne on March 1, 2012

I retired from active practise as a lawyer after 30 years at Slater & Gordon in September 2009.

After all that time, I thought I’d seen most there was to see in terms of people injured one way or another.

I’ve acted for over 3,000 asbestos cancer victims including those who had to take on the might of CSR over Wittenoom and James Hardie. I’ve sat in the bedrooms of couples who had lived together for 60 years and watched as a wife lovingly sponged her husband’s brow as mesothelioma took him from her, breath by breath.

I’ve acted for the dying victims of big tobacco, and seen them fade away; struck by the fact that the merchants of that deadly product were never there for the final act…they were somewhere else in the middle of town, making plans to market cigarettes to a new generation.

I’ve seen the haunted lives of hundreds of men those whose childhood innocence and whose bodies were taken and raped by Catholic clergy.

In the 1990s, I acted for a whole generation of haemophiliacs whose arthritic and tortured bodies were blighted by the AIDS virus, after Australia’s blood supply became contaminated in the early 1980s.

And I retired from that career in September 2009, proud of who and what I’d fought for and interested to know if I could find something else to be good at.

Barely a week had passed when I was asked to contribute my time to efforts to get compensation for Australia’s thalidomide survivors.

Some thalidomiders had received a pittance back in the 1970s…but most had received nothing at all. And so with all the bravado and all the complete lack of judgment of a litigation Don Quixote, I saddled up for one more fight. Two and a half years on, I am fighting for thalidomiders in countries all over the world. Thalidomide will be the last big fight in my career as a lawyer. Nothing in my thirty years as a lawyer could have prepared me for what I have learned from thalidomiders in the last three years…about people, about the human spirit, about how Australia has treated its disabled people…about the unending capacity of large companies to put profit before safety.

I learned to laugh at myself and my inane and misplaced sense of political correctness. I want to tell you a story about that.

I had breakfast in late 2009 with Brett Nielsen, a man born with no arms. As he asked me to pass the sugar for his coffee and I picked up a sachet of ‘equal’ and started to rip it open, he snatched it off me with his toes and then commenced to tear it open with the two biggest toes on each foot before pouring the contents into his coffee and then picking up the teaspoon with two toes and stirring it, and saying, ‘Don’t you think I can do anything!!’

Minutes later, we went up to the buffet and I stood back respectfully, waiting for him to perform a similar feat (pardon the pun,) when he eventually turned around and said …”well, what about a bit of a hand, ya bastard!”

That year, I also got to meet Mary Henley-Collopy, a woman born only with a foot attached to a hip, and some fingers coming directly out of her shoulder … no limbs. Given up by her biological mother shortly after birth, she was raised by adoptive parents and grew to be one of Australia’s foremost public servants in the Department of Social Security. The most recent email I got from her, late last year, she was in Africa, helping out as a volunteer in one of the townships. I never cease to look at what Mary has made of her lot, with awe and with pride.

Around the world, I now act for or help out with over half a dozen women effectively missing all of their limbs. Their circumstances range from the unbelievable lifetime commitment and care Ian and Wendy Rowe have provided to their daughter Lynette Rowe (the lead plaintiff in the thalidomide class action.) and people like Mary who were abandoned by their mothers and whose lives were transformed by people who volunteered to totally commit the balance of their lives by making the commitment to raise a seriously disabled child…and sadly, to others whose parents abandoned them as babies at a municipal tip; parents who found it in themselves to habitually sexually abuse a daughter with no arms, no legs, no means of escape or complaint. It is humbling to know of and represent these women. There can in my view be no more important role for a lawyer. It is as inspiring as it is traumatic, to try to comprehend their fifty years on this planet…about the same time I’ve been here.

In my first few months of knowing the Rowe family, I visited them several times but never want pas the front lounge room of their modest weatherboard home in Nunawading. The room was always clean but the carpet worn and frayed and the furniture old. The Rowes and their daughter, always presented bright and welcoming faces, always made me and my associates welcome, and always offered us tea and biscuits.

The circumstances which led me to go out the back of their house only transpired after six months of getting to know them and several visits. Most of the back section of the house was built over a few weekends in 1978 as a Lion’s Club project.

You see, the breadwinners in the Rowe family had to give up their day jobs fifty years ago and spend almost all their time looking after Lynette, and each other. Because Lynette is completely limbless, she has required the fulltime care of both of them day and night for fifty years. And because of that, the back door hadn’t been able to open or close since about 1984. Movement in the foundations had fixed it solid, two inches open at the top, so that for the last 28 winters, the cold wind has blown in, with nothing to stop it. The room where Lynette has spent most of that time drops a full eight inches from one corner to the one diagonally opposite. The floor of the bathroom where Lynette’s parents have washed her every day, all these years, was never wet-sealed and it creaks loudly when you walk on it…as if to tell you its days are numbers and if you’re standing on it at the wrong time, so might yours be.

From the lounge room back, this whole house has been falling down.

I have wrestled with an odd sense of shame since I first went out the back of the Rowe family home. And now I think I can begin to explain why. It’s because I had thought I was helping these people by running their case. I thought I had some decent understanding of their lives.

But I had no idea really…because I had never gone out the back.

Just as most Australians…just as Australia… has itself never before “gone out the back”… and caught a glimpse… any kind of insight… of the real lives our seriously disabled people… and their carers… have lived.

It’s time to go out the back.

There’s a lot I don’t pretend to understand about the current debate.

First and foremost, I don’t understand how it’s come to this. How can we think of ourselves as a decent society when we have allowed these conditions to persist…for such utterly decent and heroic Australians to be left so bereft of care and support for so long…especially in a country whose politicians have contended for credit over the past twenty years for giving us the strongest economy in the world.

Second, I don’t understand why the proposal to address these problems is called a disability insurance scheme. This is not a matter of insurance. What we are talking about here..proper and paid care…proper support and pay for families of disabled people…decent and appropriate accommodation…are matters of basic human rights in a decent society. If there is any meaning whatsoever to be accorded to charters of human rights, to equality under our Constitution and the under the law, it is that Wendy Rowe, at the tender age of 76, should no longer have to go to the gym three times a week to maintain the upper body strength to get up and turn her fifty year old daughter, three times a night…every night. It’s not, or at least it should not be, a matter of paying a premium and getting some coverage.

Third, I don’t understand why some people connect the need for this scheme to a desire to take away the rights to justice of those people who became disabled because of someone else’s negligence.

From where I sit, there are two issues here…the first is the fundamental right to support and care provided by a decent and prosperous economy.

Second, the right to justice for those who, like Lynette Rowe, can point to the fact that her disabilities might never existed at all, and her life be completely different…if a giant pharmaceutical company had chosen to act on hundreds of warning signs over the drug from which it was making millions, instead of ignoring them.

These rights…the right to appropriate and decent care and the right to justice…might be different rights…but they are both fundamental…and they do not conflict. Those who contend otherwise are really telling you that while the likes of James Hardie, Union Carbide and Grunenthal can capitalise their profits…their losses should be socialised and paid for everybody else except them.

Maybe it ought not be a surprise that such a suggestion comes from something called “the Productivity Commission”. It is hard to measure the productivity of justice…of happiness. But the failure of Governments in the past to go beyond matters of productivity …and to address decency and fairness…has been the bane of this issue. The Productivity Commission should share its Canberra accommodation with a Happiness Commission and a Fairness Commission.

I support the aims of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and believe that it can deliver one of the most important social reforms of this decade, providing that the services and entitlements “level up” to the best available in the country.

I support the fundamental principle that people with a disability, in the case of the National Injury Insurance Scheme with catastrophic injuries, should be given a decent level of care and support on a no-fault basis, regardless of where they live or the cause of disability.

There is clearly a disparity in the resources available and the level of care provided for Australians who are injured in different circumstances, in different places, even though they have suffered a similar injury or have a dissimilar disability. The Productivity Commission calls present arrangements “dysfunctional, unfair…and postcode based”. It is quite right to do so.

We should all be committed to seeing this change.

We should all be committed to this as a national endeavour and insist no one will be disadvantaged in a national levelling exercise and that rights, services and support are improved.

We want to see an end to the approach that sees services rationed because of inadequate resourcing or availability of specialised services, and lacks dignity for people because there is no choice, or self-determination.

On Saturday night, my wife Kerri and I and the five other lawyers working on Lynette’s case are proud and delighted to be invited to her fiftieth birthday party. In four months time, she and her parents will move into a new home in which the back will be just as flash as the front lounge room, with state of the art voice and vision activated technology.

I have said once or twice this year that there can be no more potent a symbol of our justice system than that a women with no arms or legs can call to account two of the biggest multi-national companies in the world in the court of her home town and on behalf of thalidomiders everywhere.

My wish for Lynette is that by year’s end, she lives in a new house that she loves, with parents re-invigorated and secure about her future and theirs, that she has won justice denied to thalidomiders for fifty years and that she lives in an Australia which has delivered real change and real rights for the care of seriously disabled people.

My wish for all of you is that this campaign, so long in the planning and the fighting, delivers for Australia’s disabled and their families the transformation in their lives, that the Rowe family can now hope for. In my view, there is no cause more meritorious and I wish each and every one of you the very best and I thank on behalf of each and every one of my thalidomider clients, everyone who has played a role in the campaign so far.

These are fundamental rights…long overdue!

Posted by: Hatton AT 05:30 pm   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Wednesday, March 07 2012

Adelaide Advertiser’s, David Jean & Ken McGregor say, ‘Less Support for the disabled” - March 2, 2012

The estimated cost of a full National Disability Insurance Scheme has blown out by $L5 billion a year, prompting fears there will be fewer eligible people receiving lower benefits.

The Advertiser can reveal the estimated cost has ballooned from $6.5 to $8 billion as a result of Fair Work Australia's decision to deliver disability sector workers a pay rise of 19 to 41 per cent.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard only this week staked her leadership credentials on delivering the scheme.

The Productivity Commission had previously estimated the scheme, which would provide lifelong support and care for disabled people, would cost $6.5 billion a year.

Disability Reform Minister Jenny Macklin confirmed "preliminary costing" of the scheme now had reached $8 billion.

"We still need to work out critical elements of a scheme's design, such as eligibility for support under an NDIS and what a support package may look like," she said.

Intellectual Disability Association of SA chairman David Hoist said it was clear the Government was looking at ways to water down a scheme it had heralded as a key plank of its term, 'The fact that it has gone out by so much and they haven't put it out in the public forum is unacceptable because they keep talking about it," he said. "We understand the Government is trying to write a strategy that is going to reduce the number of people that get support and that those people are going to get less support."

Mr Hoist also took aim at the Gillard Government's failure to deliver a key recommendation of the productivity commission's report by immediately pumping funds into badly-needed supported accommodation services.

The Advertiser yesterday revealed the number of South Australians in critical need of those services had more than doubled since mid-2009.

Despite confirming the cost blowout, Ms Macklin said the Government was committed to delivering the "foundations necessary for an NDIS by mid-2013".

Opposition spokesman Mitch Fifield said the Government should publicly release any modelling that had been done on the effect of the community sector pay case on the scheme.

"The time for the Government to match its fine words on the NDIS with action... is well overdue," he said.

LISA Comment: The NDIS is now well behind the eight-ball! Behind a national dental scheme, more money for education, very extensive flood damage compensation in three states, a budget surplus, etc, etc.

Without question the main intention of the NDIS was/is to provide the level of funding to ensure relief for those aging parents still caring for their adult family member at home.

This priority is closely followed by the intention of a full NDIS was/is to give disadvantaged people choice of service provider. Get them out of the charity hand-out trap, into the freedom of ‘right to services of their choice’.

There is little human-right, where consumers and their families are treated like they were bludgers who must show respect and beg forgiveness if they ever speak out of turn, especially those in government direct service provision. One of the main intentions of the NDIS was to break this strangle-hold.

Now with little hope of this ever occurring in the near future, it is the duty of every person with a disability, their family, friends and the public to help us break the indignity of services which do not treat the consumer, their family and friends as the most important people - the people who should be treated with good customer service as always right. Market place industry treats their customers as always right, as they know their customers have choice of service provider.

Posted by: Hatton AT 12:46 am   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Saturday, March 03 2012

Letters to the Editor, The Age, 3 March 2012

Speculation that the Coalition would fund generous parental leave payments ahead of the National Disability Insurance Scheme ("Division over Abbott's parental leave plan", The Age, 29/2) would be a cruel blow to our many people with disabilities, who often do not have basic needs met due to inadequate funding and a chaotic system allocating whatever funds are available.

Much money is wasted by endless bureaucratic meetings to placate people not receiving the services they need. In our case, the more strident we became about our daughter's complex needs not being met, the more DHS and service provider workers attended these meetings —14 in one instance. People with disabilities can wait their entire lives without receiving the help they need. Provision for adequate resources needs to be the priority.

Marianne Darton, Balnarring, Victoria

LISA Comment: "Well said Marianne!"

Bureaucratic waste is everywhere within DHS Victoria!

Unlike non-government services (CSOs), the department’s reactive management has endless government money to ‘buy its way’, rather than properly and proactively manage its way.

CSOs have to efficiently manage their services, whilst the department keeps most of its state government budget for itself – to blunder from one disaster to the next. As no one cares, no one ‘owns the company’ and nothing is anyone’s responsibility in this public service captive market where consumers have no choice and must feel eternally grateful for any crumbs they may get from the totally out-of-control juganaught – DHS Victoria.

Posted by: Hatton AT 12:47 am   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Thursday, March 01 2012

Introduction/Overview:

The freedom to make decisions which affect our lives is a fundamental right that each of us should enjoy.

The decisions and choices that we make are a reflection of who we are as individuals. They allow us to express our views, our personalities, our desires and goals as well as to reflect what we think is important in life. Through these choices and decisions we can pursue the lifestyles that we want.

Outcomes of decisions - good and bad - help us learn and grow as individuals. Through involvement in decision making we can gain experience, confidence and knowledge which enrich our lives.

Making and being involved in decisions also allows us to participate in our communities and broader society. Through this active participation we feel greater connection to and responsibility for our communities. A sense of control in home life and at work is also linked to better health and wellbeing outcomes.

Where people are denied the right to make decisions, or are restricted by others as to the type of decisions they can make, they are potentially being denied their human rights.

We all make decisions based on the best information that is available to us. This includes advice and support from friends, partners, family members and other significant people in our lives as well as past experiences.

People with a disability are no different in this regard. However some people may require some additional assistance in order to be able to make and express choices. Such assistance might include access to communication aids or translators, information in different formats, longer timeframes or different environments in which to make decisions.

Some people may require more specific support to make decisions, including reminders of previous decisions and more explanation of the implications of their decisions.

People with a disability may also be excluded from decision making processes that affect them because others make incorrect assumptions they don't have capacity to understand issues or consequences, or others believe they know what is best for them.

Where assistance is required but not provided people with a disability are not fully involved in decision making.

Self-directed support:
This guide recognises and supports a human rights-based approach to services for people with a disability. It has been developed as part of the Victorian Government's reorientation of disability services to self-directed approaches and to make it easier for people with a disability to pursue individual lifestyles.

This reorientation changes the roles of service users and providers. Rather than being service 'recipients', people become active participants in planning and obtaining the supports they feel will best meet their needs and goals.

Whilst service providers retain a responsibility for service quality and outcomes, their role is more in enabling; providing advice and support to help people with a disability exercise as much choice and control as possible over their life.

These changing roles will require adjustment by people with a disability, and support workers and service providers. This guide is intended to assist in this process for service providers, people with a disability and their supporters by providing approaches to decision making which underpin lifestyle choices.

The guide offers a principles-based approach to supporting decision making by people with a disability for use by the disability sector as a whole. It represents one step in communicating and facilitating the change that needs to occur in disability services to ensure that people with a disability can, to the greatest extent that they are able, exercise the basic right to make choices and decisions.

Posted by: Hatton AT 12:49 am   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Thursday, March 01 2012

WEB LINK

On 1 March 2010, the Australian Government introduced the new and improved Disability Employment Services, delivering more effective employment assistance for job seekers with disability.

Representing an investment of over $1.7 billion over the next three years, Disability Employment Services are a significant improvement in services for people with disability, their families and carers and employers. Job seekers with disability will have immediate access to tailored services that are flexible and responsive to both their needs and those of employers.

Posted by: Hatton AT 12:42 am   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Email
Add to favorites

LISA Inc   ~   Phone: 03 9434 3810   ~   Email: vk3qq@optusnet.com.au   ~   Address: 73 Nepean Street Watsonia VIC 3087

Copyright © 2013 LISA Inc. All Rights Reserved. SiteMap.